This or That: Cheez-its or Goldfish?

Roxy Kalantari
Cheez-its or Goldfish? Which one would you choose?

Cheez-its or Goldfish? The age-old question. Although some may say that they are the same snack in different shapes (you know who you are), many beg to differ. In a pinch, sure—either one will do. However, when both popular snacks are sitting in front of you, which one would you choose? It boils down to three main factors: taste, texture, and appearance.

Cheez-its are quadrilateral-shaped snacks with ridges on their edges. The cheesy cracker comes in an eye-catching red box and there are over 50 flavors to choose from including Original Cheddar, Cheddar Jack, Buffalo Wing, White Cheddar, Extra Toasty, Hot and Spicy, Sriracha, and many more.

Goldfish are fish shaped to appeal to children and the cracker itself is a lighter shade of orange than Cheez-its. Goldfish are available in up to 53 different flavors including Original, Rainbow, Xtra Cheddar, Pizza, S’mores, Cupcake, Parmesan, and many more.

As Cheez-its are made out of more real cheese than Goldfish, they provide a sharp crunch and a more intense cheese flavor. On the other hand, Goldfish crackers are a more light and airy snack, perfect for when you want something cheesy, but not as heavy.

If the nutrition facts may sway your opinion, Goldfish are generally lower in fat while Cheez-its have a lower amount of sodium and cholesterol.

Many students have personal opinions about each snack with interesting points mentioned for each cracker.

“Cheez-its [are] crunchier, bigger, even though they’re thinner, and in general [have] more flavor than in goldfish,” Oscar Yanez (11) said. “Goldfish don’t really even taste like cheese at all. It’s just, like, plain bread.”

Although many students agree that Cheez-its are more cheesy, Chloe Huang (11) also brings up that Cheez-its tend to be saltier than their fish-shaped counterparts.

“Cheez-its are really salty when you eat them constantly,” she said.

One of the biggest appeals of Goldfish is the amount of flavors available and the shape of the iconic snack.

“I just think [Goldfish] is better because it’s something that we grew up with. Maybe they’re just more special to us, especially because goldfish have a little fish shape,” Emily Lopez (10) said. “I don’t eat [Goldfish] as much anymore but it’s something I grew up with.”

Goldfish are catered more towards children due to their fun shape, so many students are biased. Their memories are filled with eating the fish-shaped snack, and when asked why they chose Goldfish rather than Cheez-its in a poll, an unnamed student answered, “Because [Goldish] smile back.”

It seems that Cheez-its triumph in texture with its signature crunch, but Goldfish wins for the appeal category with the fish shape. The last factor to discuss is taste.

While Goldfish offer a bigger variety in flavors, Cheez-its mostly stick to different cheeses. So, the decision to choose between either one relies on your preference of flavor. Are you in the mood for something classically cheesy or unexpected and unique?

In the end, the earlier poll revealed that Goldfish is the more popular choice, but there are still people ready to defend Cheez-its. This situation leaves one question unanswered: If one were to disappear off of the face of the earth forever, which one would you choose to save?