Spanish Club introduces Spanish proficient tutors

Avery Rosas

Spanish club learning during their meeting on Thursday

Avery Rosas

The Spanish club and their plethora of Spanish speakers have decided to offer their services to the school and endeavored students to help them with any Spanish tutoring they need. This program, beginning soon, will be a new way for students to receive the help they need by students who have been taught by the same teachers as them.

Once clubs started getting off and running, they spent some time doing some things before starting to get into their bigger plans for the year. Sra. Harmon, the Spanish Club advisor, finally announced the club’s intentions.

“[Sra. Harmon] had been thinking of having students tutor for a while and wanted to eventually incorporate it with the Spanish Club,” said freshman and Spanish Club Co-President Miguel Lizardi. 

Sophomore and other Co-President Martin Lizardi, brother of Miguel, added on. “I have had the idea of doing something to make the Spanish Club a good place to practice Spanish and help people, no matter how well they speak it. Sra Harmon suggested that we tutor. I had not thought of that, but I loved the idea,” said Martin. 

Miguel states that Spanish can be a complicated language, that there are things about it that confuse new students when they are beginning to learn which can restrict their learning ability, and consequently, their grades. 

“We want to offer help to anyone who needs it. We do have plans to advertise to hopefully get help to anyone who wants it,” said Miguel. 

Advertisements will follow once volunteers are chosen, leaving time for the club to finalize any necessary steps to ensure the majority of students will find out about it. Spanish Club is certainly excited for tutoring to start.

“We are hoping to get an announcement during fourth period,” said Miguel. “And we might put up a table so that people can sign up during lunch.”  

“When the time comes, we will make announcements on the K-9 News so that everybody knows when we will begin, and so that we can help as many people as possible,” said Martin.

When trying to offer a service, there’s more to an idea than how it looks in your head. People need to want your service, or a “demand” exists. The club Presidents do not lack faith.

“I am very confident that people will want Spanish tutoring,” said Martin. “And I believe that this will help very much.” 

With most things decided and set in motion, some other things still need to be finalized. 

“The exact time we will start is not set yet,” said Martin. “We still need to find tutors, get a place to tutor, and figure out a good schedule, but hopefully soon, we’ll begin tutoring.”

From the other side of the story, students offer their insight for the soon-to-be grade-improving tool. 

I personally would benefit from extra help in Spanish because I have a hard time picking things up fast and in Spanish we move fast,” said sophomore Ian Munroe. “I think it’s a great idea because there are people that want to not only do well in the class but to also know how to speak the language as a whole.”

Students struggle learning a language, of course, because some concepts are just difficult for their brain to wrap around. However, this might not always be the fault of difficult concepts or even bad teaching. Some of the blame needs to be taken somewhere else.

“I do see lots of people struggle with Spanish, but it is not that it is very difficult for them, it can be because of the lack of study or not being prepared,” said Munroe. Not being prepared, in this instance, could perhaps be a nice way of saying that students tend to lack motivation or deemphasize the importance for these types of classes.

Overall, however, students struggle. The Spanish club has noticed. And what better time for tutoring services than during the two-week stretch of finals prep and study sessions?

“I think it would be very crucial for people to sign up, thus being that finals are not easy and having that extra time spent on Spanish, which is a different language for most people, would be very helpful,” Munroe said.