Seniors of Ayala: With the Kindest Heart

Ismael Rocha (12) finds ways to show kindness through football, choir, and friends

Mateo Cole

“I’m choosing firefighting as a career because I like putting others before myself and being a fireman means helping your community and being willing to put your life on the line to save others,” Ismael Rocha (12) said.

Mateo Cole, Staff Reporter

Sports, academics, and arts are three incredibly difficult tasks to tackle, let alone handle all three and still have time for a social life. 

But Ismael Rocha finds the time and manages to balance them perfectly, and do it all with a smile. Rocha is a senior at Ayala who will be attending Mt. SAC next year to pursue his firemen dreams. 

“I’m choosing firefighting as a career because I like putting others before myself and being a fireman means helping your community and being willing to put your life on the line to save others,” senior Ismael Rocha said. 

He understands who he is and what he wants in life, and to be a firefighter would only spotlight the kindness he holds for everybody. But he wasn’t always this way. 

“My first few years? I was kind of lost at first. I wasn’t really sure what to get into,” said Rocha. “But as I like, got more involved with school, different activities, I eventually kind of find my way into my friend groups and the community.” 

A strong personality with great communication skills, Rocha is a beloved member of both the Ayala Football team and Ayala Choir. 

“At Mt. SAC I want to pursue a little bit of music, maybe try joining their choir,” said Rocha. “I’m most likely not going to do football because it’s way more competitive than high school. Overall I’d love to pursue choir while also going for firefighting.”

Rocha has fallen in love with music and its surrounding world. Choir and sports have that family aspect that he loves so much. The people there and all the memories made is what keeps him coming back. 

“I feel like it’s an honor to be his friend,” senior Amanuel Tilahun said. “But I can’t say like a specific time when we met. I think I’ve just known of him. And then I would say like an official time when we met was probably summer junior to senior year when we hung out for watching fireworks with our friends.” 

Amongst a crowd, Rocha’s humor and smile are most noticeable from any distance. 

“He’s a very caring and very likable guy,” senior Jorge Diaz said. “I thought he was chill and very much like me in ways of humor.” 

Rocha’s wish to pursue a career in firefighting makes perfect sense when considering his massive heart and wish for the safety of others. Everyone here at Ayala wishes him the best of luck as he pursues his dreams. 

“I was kind of lost at first. I wasn’t really sure what to get into,” said Rocha. “But as I got more involved with school, different activities, I eventually kind of find my way into my friend groups and community.”

For someone with many talents and aspirations, it can be very difficult to approach high school with things they wish to do. But with enough support and the right guidance, it is hardly an issue. 

“Yeah it was challenging at first, but my choir director, Mr. Davis, he kind of helped me go in and out of our rehearsals so I could go to practice,” said Rocha.

With friends and family at his side, he strives to accomplish his goals with the greatest of ability. All the way there he will have people who constantly support him. 

“Those are always like an amazing thing to be with him on that and I’m glad he’s happy,” said Tilahun.