The Grind: Day In, Day Out

Cross country, track, and soccer athletes describe their experiences with time management and the effect it has on their lives

+%E2%80%9CI%E2%80%99ve+learned+to+treat+school+work+like+running.+You+want+to+do+your+best+in+running+and+to+do+that+is+to+give+school+the+same+attention%2C%E2%80%9D+sophomore+varsity+track+and+junior+varsity+cross+country+athlete+Caleb+Ornelas+said.+%E2%80%9CNext+year+I+will+manage+my+time+better+by+starting+my+work+sooner+as+it+is+assigned+to+me+so+I+may+have+more+time+to+give+to+cross+country+and+track.%E2%80%9D%0A

“I’ve learned to treat school work like running. You want to do your best in running and to do that is to give school the same attention,” sophomore varsity track and junior varsity cross country athlete Caleb Ornelas said. “Next year I will manage my time better by starting my work sooner as it is assigned to me so I may have more time to give to cross country and track.”

Mateo Cole, Staff Reporter

Life has always been a struggle for many people, and part of that struggle involves balancing time, a skill well handled by athletes. Time management is an important skill to master, as in the adult world balancing different aspects of life is key to living the best one. It also supports good mental health so as to not be overwhelmed by the numerous tasks that plague many lives, and athletes are masters of this balancing act.

“I have learned to be responsible with my time,” freshman track/cross country athlete Mick Sumner said. “I’m sure a lot of people would be hesitant to commit to a sports team due to time constraints but that really isn’t the issue. It’s more of a matter of getting your priorities straight.”

The best way to manage time would be to write down everything needed to do. That way it is much easier to see what needs to be done rather than having to rely on memory for certain tasks. These are lessons athletes must learn in order to be successful. 

“I’ve learned to treat school work like running. You want to do your best in running and to do that is to give school the same attention,” sophomore varsity track/junior varsity cross country athlete Caleb Ornelas said. “Next year I will manage my time better by starting my work sooner as it is assigned to me so I may have more time to give to cross country and track.”

Everything in life is just a balancing act, and those who are successful are usually the best at balancing. However not all the athletes are with the school, some take their talents to different clubs outside of campus. 

“I prioritize school over sports, so I make sure I always have time to do all of my work,” said senior soccer player Joseph Scott. “Mid soccer season, I make sure I get school stuff done before I leave for soccer. The workload hasn’t been too bad recently, but that is mainly due to the many of my classes giving less work than others.” 

While balancing two very different and very important things can be incredibly difficult, looking to others who have trekked the journey prior can be a great source of guidance and motivation. 

“The advice I would give is to always prioritize school work and to not overwork yourself with too busy of a schedule,” said Scott.