Balancing school and work in both hands

Adrielle Dumandan, Staff Reporter

How much time do I have for homework? What’s this week’s work schedule? Finding time for both sounds like an overwhelming and hassled routine, but according to Jayla Parulan (11), Madison Cazessus (11), and Makayla Nuñez (11), being a student with a job isn’t as tough as everyone perceives, despite occasional troubles. With the right schedule and dedicated work ethics, balancing an outside job with education on the side can definitely be possible.

Whether it’s advanced placement (AP) classes, extracurriculars, or sports, school can get hectic as students move further into the school year. Inevitably, Makayla Nuñez can relate, juggling her 3 AP classes with a slow-paced and fun job at Coldstone Creamery, an ice cream store nearby school. Fortunately, certain jobs that allow student workers are immensely generous with scheduling shifts. 

“Honestly, working at Cold Stone has been a good experience so far. I’ve made new friendships, new acquaintances, and I’ve just been having a great time. Free ice cream has been a bonus too,” Makayla says.

However, while the job may be easy, arranging a personal schedule can be tricky when your responsibilities are behind the wheel. With very little time to spare, Jayla Parulan (11) drives to work right after school, changing into work uniform, and working for nearly 6 hours on a daily basis. By the time she arrives back into the comfort of her home, it’s late at night, and is already time for bed. As Jayla gradually navigates through these obstacles, she tries to complete any classwork or homework in between work hours.

“I don’t really have time, since I go straight to work after school is over. Even worse, most of the time when rush hour begins, I can’t even work on homework in between, especially during lunchtimes. When it’s time to head home and the store closes, it’s 10 or 11, and I’m tired so I don’t have time for lots of homework either way,” Parulan sighs.

Gratefully, she has an understanding boss, which is the key to schedule management at such a young working age, while continuously adjusting to hectic calendars on her hands. 

“Even though my boss works me like crazy, he’s really kind and flexible when it comes to the absolute need to work on my homework or study. I just ask two weeks ahead of time for changes, and I’m set. He’s young, relatable, so all the more, it all works out.”

With work’s every advantage, Madison Cazessus(11) has it all— living nearby, free rides, and working with her expertise. Working as a jiu jitsu instructor, a gym coach, and a hostess for ChopHouse, Cazessus finds working 3 jobs easier than she imagined prior to applying for each. Routinely, she completes any school work placed onto her agenda, before preparing for a shift for work that comes later on in the day. 

“Even though it seems crazy having three jobs, I’m doing what I enjoy; socializing, activities, and just relaxing. I don’t work as often as you’d think, but when I do, it’s always memorable to me, since I even work with friends,” Madison describes.

Despite its pros and cons, working as a high school student is definitely beneficial in the long run; added experience, making money for school, it’s all worth it.