Annual CVUSD College Fair brings new opportunities for students

CVUSD’s College Fair was held at Ayala High School on October 9, where two representatives from 50-65 colleges provided information about their specific college. Students had the opportunity to ask questions and gain insight into their distinct career choice.
Angelina Zhao

On Monday, October 9, the Chino Valley Unified School District (CVUSD) College Fair was held at Ayala High School. This College Fair was an event that hosted many representatives from various colleges, universities, trade schools and military branches so high school students and their parents could check out the many opportunities the schools offered.

College is a path that many students set their sights on, as it opens doorways of further knowledge and opportunities. But deciding on a specific college may be difficult for some. The various colleges and universities at CVUSD’s College Fair provided insight on the goals and drives of each specific college.

With the many alternative possibilities for further education and career such as community colleges, universities, trade schools, and military branches, they strove to engage with students about the benefits of going to their school.

“It gives them an insight into the process of how to search for colleges,” Ayala counselor Mr. Ryan Bell said. “People ask ‘What are the requirements? What does it take to get in all of them?’ After they come [to the fair], they go to [the college] sites, talk to their counselors, and [talk to] their friends.”

Many students from Ayala, Chino Hills, Chino, and Don Lugo High School arrived at the college fair and asked the representatives specific questions including cost, benefits, personal insight questions, and admissions about the school or organization they set their sights on.

Many booths had pamphlets and handouts with more information in case students weren’t able to directly talk to a representative. (Angelina Zhao)

After each booth, students found themselves dawned by new knowledge and flyers detailing specific information about their intended career path, providing a good opportunity for them to utilize that knowledge and start to make their decisions.

“I wouldn’t say I’m set [with where I want to go yet], but [the fair] definitely did provide me some insight towards where I maybe want to go in the future,” Naomi Meehan (11) said. 

However, with many parents and students in attendance, many of the booths had long lines filled with people eagerly waiting for their turn to ask the representatives their respective questions. These long lines were caused by a flurry of activity and questions as many students had a common interest in several schools, specifically UC schools.

Even if there weren’t colleges that were represented, the students who went to the college fair learned more about the application process and how to gather information to accurately stand out amidst the sea of other applicants.

“It’s helped me to take into account what’s important in making decisions for colleges one should go to,” CJ Marquez (11) said.

Many students left the college fair with new understandings of their future college or career, utilizing that knowledge to the best of their ability when they research and start looking into or applying for colleges and future careers.

“It encourages kids to continue to look for schools,” Bell said. “It’s a way to springboard them to do college research.”