Student News Site of Ruben S. Ayala High School

Bulldog Times

Bulldog Times

Bulldog Times

The next water bottle craze: Stanleys

Angelina Zhao
You’ve probably seen the upsurge in Stanley water bottles all across campus. They have been the latest trend among teenagers, so what’s the deal?

Who would have thought that water bottles would be the next new trend among teenagers? Although Hydro Flasks were popular back in 2019-2020, the rise of a new stainless steel water bottle has taken the media by storm, Stanleys. 

Trends have a way of turning even the most ordinary, daily-use item, into more than just something practical, but something with an aesthetic, and value. So what’s the deal with this water bottle, and why do people like them so much?

With a coffee-mug style and an array of pastel colors, these tumblers were one the most anticipated Christmas gifts for the season. Starting in the summer, Stanley’s tumbler cups have been all over social media, with people sharing the latest colors; perhaps you’ve even seen them around Ayala’s campus. 

Although it’s true that the cup’s variety of colors and unique design allow for aesthetic pictures, one may begin to wonder if that’s all that it’s made for; if Stanleys are as functionable as they are aesthetically pleasing.

With the clever design of a straw, most people have benefited from the cup’s craze by drinking more water and staying hydrated. Many students around campus have noticed themselves drinking more water regularly.

The cup’s popularity has also allowed for other companies to create knockoff tumblers. This is mainly for the high price tag, but it still functions the same.

“I have and love my knock off Stanley,” Samantha Barrett (10) said. “It’s bigger than my usual water bottle and for some reason, drinking water out of a straw makes me drink more water.”

Loretta Zhang (9) poses with her gray Stanley cup. (Angelina Zhao)

Although the cup has helped many drink more water, there have been times where the popularity has gotten out of hand. 

During the beginning of the year, Stanley collaborated with Starbucks for a limited edition “Galentine’s Day” cup, but the new addition only resulted in a bigger craze, turning it from a buzz to a swarm. All over Target, people fought over getting the limited edition cups, almost as if it was a Black Friday sale. Even though Stanleys are the next big thing, the high price tag inhibits many from buying it. 

“I don’t think [the craze is] cute because now everybody is fighting. People were all over the cup and it’s just a $40 cup,” Lori Kim (11) said. “But I get the hype because I have four.”

Whether the cup is overpriced or not, its original purpose of being an all-steel vacuum bottle that keeps water insulated and lasts throughout the day helps students stay hydrated. Whether it will stay or go, the Stanley is the newest trend among teenagers and people love the aesthetic and the function of the cup.

“Although I think it’s just a continuation of the Hydro Flask craze from a while back,” Mrs. Joy Rouchon said. “[the Stanley trend] is just another way to potentially show your personality.”