Student News Site of Ruben S. Ayala High School

Bulldog Times

Bulldog Times

Bulldog Times

Harmonizing hearts and minds: Ayala choir’s mini-concert

Avery Rosas
Women’s Ensemble performs one of their pieces. “‘Being a member of this choir holds a special place in my heart that, for me, is a connection beyond just words,” Women’s Ensemble member Jeree Apan (9) said.

In the dimly lit auditorium, anticipation hung in the air like the first note of a sonata. The audience leaned forward in their seats, eager to experience the magic that was about to unfold. Wednesday marked a special night here at Ayala, as Choir gathered to share their voices and stories in a performance that will etched in our memories for years to come. 

As the choir took the stage, the initial chords of “Hlohonolofatsa,” arranged by Daniel Jackson, reverberated through the auditorium. The solos delivered by Alex Sacramento (12) and Maddie Lubangco (10) added an extra layer of emotion to the performance. 

The Mixed Choir then stepped into the limelight, performing a trio of songs. “Jubilate Deo” by Jay Althouse, “Music in the Water” by Ruth Morris Gray, and finally “E ala E,” also by Gray.

Next, the Men’s Ensemble graced the stage with their opening of “Inveniam Viam” by Ryan Main. Chris Sun’s (12) solo in “Gone Home,” arranged by John Wykoff, was a poignant performance that conveyed the bittersweetness of departure. Finally, the men’s ensemble performance was closed off with “Pirate Song” by Tim Y. Jones.

The Women’s Ensemble brought an air of grace and elegance to the stage. “Laudate Dominum” by Levente Gyongso lifted spirits, while “Flight Song” by Kim Andrew Arnesen carried audience members away on a gentle breeze of melody. Ariana Morales’s (12) solo in “Didn’t My Lord Deliver,” arranged by Ryan Main, was another definite highlight.

Vocal Ensemble delivers their performance during Wednesday’s choir concert. (Avery Rosas)

The Vocal Ensemble’s performance was nothing short of breathtaking. “Ritual” by Jake Runestad was a sonic masterpiece with a solo featuring Rachel Sitanggang’s (12) hauntinly beautiful voice. “Amor de mi Alma” by Z. Randall Stroope was a testament to the depth of emotion that music can convey. The closing performance of “Didn’t My Lord Deliver,” arranged by Aaron Dale left the audience to bask in the beauty of the vocal ensemble’s beautiful voices.

Following, Mr. Davis, the choir director, highlighted the choir’s challenges and goals, emphasizing the importance of students learning to work together effectively to enhance their performance.

“The students’ preparation of music is a significant part of our work, but there are logistical aspects like program preparation,” Davis said. “However, the ultimate challenge and enjoyable part lies in fostering teamwork and friendship among students, as singing together is most rewarding when they share a bond.”

“This concert showcases our dedication and countless hours of effort, and I am so proud to be able to contribute to it,” Jeree Apan (9), Women’s Ensemble member, added.

The concert concluded with the Concert Choir’s captivating performance of “Ohtul” by Part Uusberg, a piece that reminded onlookers of the beauty of simplicity and harmony. 

“I really hope that [the audience] interpreted [our performance] as something they could possibly do in the future. Everything we do, and everything that we accomplish is because we want other people to see us in a good light,” Women’s and Jazz Ensemble member Leah Ines (10) said. 

1
View Comments (1)
Donate to Bulldog Times
$235
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Ruben S. Ayala High School's Bulldog Times. Your contribution will allow us to cover our annual website hosting costs and purchase equipment.